Summer Courses 2020
Our summer courses start on 27th April 2020. Book now for our early bird rate.
Covid-19 – “Business as Usual”
We teach our course via online distance learning, and our tutors are home based and teach remotely from a distance. Our tutors range geographically from Cornwall in the southwest of England to Scotland, so in that sense we are working with “business as usual”.
We have however brought forward our schedule for new courses, and are working hard to bring them to you for the summer term courses starting 27th April, and we are exploring the options for adding in a midsummer term starting in July. We’re also welcoming back tutors who have taught on our programme previously, as well as welcoming new tutors.
We know this is a difficult time for all, and you may be new to online learning – our experienced tutors are here to guide you through your learning. Stay well, and we look forward to welcoming you on to our courses.
Our Distance Learning Courses
Our courses are run online, and have been designed for those who would like to learn about a subject with guidance from an experienced tutor. They are all non-accredited and non-credit bearing with no exams nor compulsory assessments. Being online, they also offer the flexibility of being able to study at a time and place that suits you.
They are particularly suitable if you:
- have not studied for some time and are looking for a gentle reintroduction to study
- wish to pursue an interest with guidance and feedback from an experienced tutor
- are unsure about studying
- would like to see how much you can take on before committing to a more demanding accredited course
- do not wish to take assessments
- do not wish to work towards an award
You will be issued with details which will provide access to the course website. You will be able to log into the course website at any time. Full instructions describing how to use the course website and discussion forums will be provided and technical support is available.
Who can study these courses?
Our courses are open to everyone over 18 years old:
- You do not need to be an existing student of a university, or indeed of any institution; at the same time we welcome those who are currently enrolled on a course of study in any institution.
- We welcome people from the UK and all over the world.
- There are no academic prerequisites.
- You do not need any experience of studying online – support is provided.
- You do not need to have English as a first language – some of our learners study with us in order to practise and develop their language skills and you are most welcome to do so – but please note that the subject of the course is the tutor’s focus and language support is not provided.
So to give you an idea of who you are likely to ‘meet’ online, our learners:
- Are international
- May be unemployed, in study, in employment, caring for a family, or retired
- May be any age – from eighteen to those in their nineties
- May have disabilities and/or significant ill health – these courses can be a particularly helpful form of learning for those who are housebound
- May study for personal interest, to keep mentally active, to explore a new area of study, or with a view to developing or even changing their careers
So you are likely to interact with learners with a wide variety of backgrounds and life-experiences. We look forward to you joining us.